Page 1 of 1

Sun

Posted: 02 Mar 2020 05:07
by O.P.A.L
As the sun sets
Under the roaring seas
Beneath the rolling hills
Bestowing its last glimmer of light
Only for the clouds
Its parting wish is to
Be reborn
Sun by thy name
Moon by thy glorious rebirth
O. P. A. L.

Re: Sun

Posted: 03 Mar 2020 18:43
by Redbeck
Dear O.P.A.L. Collective fine poetry as ever, in return give thee. Redbeck

The Sun Rising
BY JOHN DONNE

Busy old fool, unruly sun,
Why dost thou thus,
Through windows, and through curtains call on us?
Must to thy motions lovers' seasons run?
Saucy pedantic wretch, go chide
Late school boys and sour prentices,
Go tell court huntsmen that the king will ride,
Call country ants to harvest offices,
Love, all alike, no season knows nor clime,
Nor hours, days, months, which are the rags of time.

Thy beams, so reverend and strong
Why shouldst thou think?
I could eclipse and cloud them with a wink,
But that I would not lose her sight so long;
If her eyes have not blinded thine,
Look, and tomorrow late, tell me,
Whether both th' Indias of spice and mine
Be where thou leftst them, or lie here with me.
Ask for those kings whom thou saw'st yesterday,
And thou shalt hear, All here in one bed lay.

She's all states, and all princes, I,
Nothing else is.
Princes do but play us; compared to this,
All honor's mimic, all wealth alchemy.
Thou, sun, art half as happy as we,
In that the world's contracted thus.
Thine age asks ease, and since thy duties be
To warm the world, that's done in warming us.
Shine here to us, and thou art everywhere;
This bed thy center is, these walls, thy sphere.


Image

Re: Sun

Posted: 03 Mar 2020 20:23
by O.P.A.L
Absolutely beautiful, only if I could stitch together words this well. Of course, but in time I hope I'm not wishing but improving even further. Thank you.
O. P. A. L.