Is all math necessary/origins of math/numbers with spirituality

Click 'The Oracle' title above to enter The Oracle Forum and discuss your quest for answers with kindred spirits. Courtesy costs nothing - if you disagree with someone, disagree politely. Abuse is not tolerated.
Post Reply
Sh3rl0ck
Posts: 200
Joined: 29 Jan 2019 17:43
Location: Realm of the mind
Contact:

Is all math necessary/origins of math/numbers with spirituality

Post by Sh3rl0ck »

I have some questions that I hope someone can answer:

1. Is all mathmamatics necessary? Many people believe that algebra and algebra 2 aren't needed. Is this correct?
I have done a quick research and decided that variables have no purpose. They are a representation of something we don't know. A variable can be any number. So I would like to hear some other opinions, is all math needed?

2. What are the origins of math? Where and how did it start? I would assume that numbers started with counting, which is quite obvious, but what if the other subjects of math? Equations and such like that. Any info/links would be appreciated. Also this question isn't that really important it is just something that I think about occasionally.

3. Do numbers have spirituality? I have read that the number 9 posses great power and can be considered spiritual. But how is that exactly? The site keeps mentioning the power/spirituality of numbers. I know that numbers can practically prove anything, and that almost everything is possible when using numbers, but what if the spiritual part? Any info on this would be greatly appreciated as well.


-sh3rl0ck
Then he said, "I lostmyhead" can you see it?
Svalbard
Posts: 49
Joined: 04 Feb 2019 22:54
Contact:

Re: Is all math necessary/origins of math/numbers with spirituality

Post by Svalbard »

While I do not have direct answers to your questions, I do have some thoughts.

If I have interpreted your questions correctly, then a common thread running through them strikes at the popular question of, "is math invented or discovered?" There are countless theories offered on the subject, most prominently from schools of Platonism, nominalism, and formalism. I have yet to investigate their theories properly, however, my current, laymen's response to the aforementioned question is: both; mathematical concepts are composed of human-invented language (symbols/syntax, names, techniques etc.), but the truths behind these formulations are discoveries about the nature of reality. In that way, I believe that when we engage in mathematics, we - to some degree - participate in the Divine Intellect, and get a glimpse of the Mind of God (there are many names for this metaphysical intellect across various religions).

As an aside, I have recently picked up a book titled, "Zero: Biography of a Dangerous Idea," which explores the development of the number zero, and the hidden danger contained in its idea. The related concept of infinity is also discussed by the book. Perhaps you will find this book interesting.


Best regards.
Red_Rose
Posts: 217
Joined: 13 Nov 2016 20:49
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Is all math necessary/origins of math/numbers with spirituality

Post by Red_Rose »

The first question answers all the others: everything is useful, nothing is necessary.
Sh3rl0ck
Posts: 200
Joined: 29 Jan 2019 17:43
Location: Realm of the mind
Contact:

Re: Is all math necessary/origins of math/numbers with spirituality

Post by Sh3rl0ck »

Red_Rose wrote: 07 Feb 2019 12:11 The first question answers all the others: everything is useful, nothing is necessary.

Dearest of Red Roses. . .

Even as short as your answer was, I found your quote extraordinary and prodigious!
This quote made me think a lot more than I usually do, and I believe that is a very good thing. This quote itself has changed my view on things. It is quite astonishing to see how just a few words can change someone point of view in a matter of seconds. Thus I shall put this quote on my delighted white board which I will try to live by each day.

I have also found that this forum is a spectacular place of great knowledge and wisdom.

-sh3rl0ck
Then he said, "I lostmyhead" can you see it?
Sh3rl0ck
Posts: 200
Joined: 29 Jan 2019 17:43
Location: Realm of the mind
Contact:

Re: Is all math necessary/origins of math/numbers with spirituality

Post by Sh3rl0ck »

Svalbard wrote: 07 Feb 2019 00:54 While I do not have direct answers to your questions, I do have some thoughts.

If I have interpreted your questions correctly, then a common thread running through them strikes at the popular question of, "is math invented or discovered?" There are countless theories offered on the subject, most prominently from schools of Platonism, nominalism, and formalism. I have yet to investigate their theories properly, however, my current, laymen's response to the aforementioned question is: both; mathematical concepts are composed of human-invented language (symbols/syntax, names, techniques etc.), but the truths behind these formulations are discoveries about the nature of reality. In that way, I believe that when we engage in mathematics, we - to some degree - participate in the Divine Intellect, and get a glimpse of the Mind of God (there are many names for this metaphysical intellect across various religions).

As an aside, I have recently picked up a book titled, "Zero: Biography of a Dangerous Idea," which explores the development of the number zero, and the hidden danger contained in its idea. The related concept of infinity is also discussed by the book. Perhaps you will find this book interesting.


Best regards.

Hello Svalbard!

Yes, your answer applies to my questions. My question was if man invent math or was it discovered? And you have answered it very well indeed. Now that I think of it, mathamatics is quite spiritual as you mentioned. Mathematics can prove that there could quite possibly be a higher power just by determining a few numbers.

I am in a in between state of believing in the existence of a god. That is why I found this site, because I wanted to gain back my spirituality, and I think I have, just by reading a little of the site, and determining a few numbers.

If man cannot prove the existence of god, then why is man certain that numbers can go infinitely? And I think there is the answer, numbers can represent the existence of god.

I really appreciate your response, and will look forward to reading a new book filled with great knowledge.

-sh3rl0ck
Then he said, "I lostmyhead" can you see it?
Svalbard
Posts: 49
Joined: 04 Feb 2019 22:54
Contact:

Re: Is all math necessary/origins of math/numbers with spirituality

Post by Svalbard »

Sh3rl0ck wrote: 08 Feb 2019 16:40
I am in a in between state of believing in the existence of a god. That is why I found this site, because I wanted to gain back my spirituality, and I think I have, just by reading a little of the site, and determining a few numbers.
I think that we are in the right place, then. Lurking around the pages on this site continually prompts me to evaluate my understanding of God and the Higher Reality. Several times on here I have come across references to certain traditional texts or other wisdom, which I then researched independently. If this website is a rabbit hole, then it contains many tunnels. I feel compelled to add, "...and all these tunnels lead to one destination," based on the impression that I'm getting of other users here; however, I have not experienced this personally yet - though I hope to.
Sh3rl0ck wrote: 08 Feb 2019 16:40 If man cannot prove the existence of god, then why is man certain that numbers can go infinitely? And I think there is the answer, numbers can represent the existence of god.
I will ponder these words.

On a related note, there have been good attempts at logically proving the existence of God. One such attempt was done by Thomas Aquinas. Although his so-called Five Ways (...of proving the existence of God), are all written from a Christian context, an open-minded person could appreciate them for their logical argumentation and their truth; one does not necessarily need to be of a particular religion to learn from theological writings originating from that particular religion. I, for instance, am not a Christian, but have deep respect for Aquinas and his teachings nonetheless.

I am now exploring Eastern traditions. They seem to place less focus on philosophical argumentation and on the general cerebral aspect of Western theology, but in turn place more emphasis on the pure experience of God.
Sh3rl0ck
Posts: 200
Joined: 29 Jan 2019 17:43
Location: Realm of the mind
Contact:

Re: Is all math necessary/origins of math/numbers with spirituality

Post by Sh3rl0ck »

Svalbard wrote: 08 Feb 2019 20:27 [quote=Sh3rl0ck post_id=11055 time=1549644003 user_id=30699

I think that we are in the right place, then. Lurking around the pages on this site continually prompts me to evaluate my understanding of God and the Higher Reality. Several times on here I have come across references to certain traditional texts or other wisdom, which I then researched independently. If this website is a rabbit hole, then it contains many tunnels. I feel compelled to add, "...and all these tunnels lead to one destination," based on the impression that I'm getting of other users here; however, I have not experienced this personally yet - though I hope to.
Sh3rl0ck wrote: 08 Feb 2019 16:40 If man cannot prove the existence of god, then why is man certain that numbers can go infinitely? And I think there is the answer, numbers can represent the existence of god.
I will ponder these words.

On a related note, there have been good attempts at logically proving the existence of God. One such attempt was done by Thomas Aquinas. Although his so-called Five Ways (...of proving the existence of God), are all written from a Christian context, an open-minded person could appreciate them for their logical argumentation and their truth; one does not necessarily need to be of a particular religion to learn from theological writings originating from that particular religion. I, for instance, am not a Christian, but have deep respect for Aquinas and his teachings nonetheless.

I am now exploring Eastern traditions. They seem to place less focus on philosophical argumentation and on the general cerebral aspect of Western theology, but in turn place more emphasis on the pure experience of God.
I am glad to hear that you are on the road on spirituality.

I am flattered to hear that you take my words seriously and will ponder on them. Thinking is the number 1 element to success. Some call it meditation, others call it various other things. I myself like to sit in a comfortable chair, put on some white noise, close my eyes, and think. Just like that. It puts me in a state of consciousness between the normal world of which the reality we live in, and the universe of thought. A little bit like the parallel universe. I call it, the mind palace!
You might of heard the original Sherlock Holmes use that term before. The mind palace is in fact a real thing, the ancient Greeks used it to predict things, or to just simply think deeply. The reason why I bring this up is because of my quotation: can we prove gods existence logically? My answer is no, although what is possible is to get in a connection with god. In a sense bring yourself to a particular state of mind.

I believe that is what the evokation is about. Opening up another realm in the consciousness, to build a better spirituality.

http://www.973-eht-namuh-973.com/colour ... _first.htm

I find your way of thinking very wise and knowledgeable.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable must be the truth"

-sh3rl0ck
Then he said, "I lostmyhead" can you see it?
User avatar
BeN1
Posts: 675
Joined: 24 Oct 2016 17:14
Contact:

--------------------

Post by BeN1 »

--------------------
Last edited by BeN1 on 22 Jul 2023 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
HADOUKEN!! 🤲🔥
Sh3rl0ck
Posts: 200
Joined: 29 Jan 2019 17:43
Location: Realm of the mind
Contact:

Re: Is all math necessary/origins of math/numbers with spirituality

Post by Sh3rl0ck »

Greetings BeN1!

To be honest I actually forgot I even made this thread.

Since you have brought this back, and I thank you in doing so, for I actually have something new to post on here regarding the spirituality of numbers.

COINCIDENCE OR NOT?

I have been having these constant encounters with triple numbers, and I can't decide if this is coincidence or something more divine trying to send me a message. I am constantly seeing numbers like 111, 222, 444, and 555. Each triple number has a different meaning. I am not sure what to think of this. I am aware that numbers do in fact have spirituality, but why me? And why now? It could be possible though, I am in a major turning point in my life right now, it is a tight and tough situation, more of a problem actually, and I don't know what to think of it. So is this really the universe speaking to me in forms of numbers, symbols, and signs? Or is this just another logical coincidence that I happen to overthink about.
Then he said, "I lostmyhead" can you see it?
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 4 guests